VILLE, DIMORE, TEATRI STORICI

Back

Palazzo Pesarini to S. Piero in Bagno

Palazzo Pesarini to S. Piero in Bagno

This palazzo, built between 1780 and 1790 by the S. Piero in Bagno landowner Giovan Battista Pasquale Spighi, is the most important and best preserved example in the Savio Valley of a stately home of the period between the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries built in a town. The harmonious and linear plan, which strictly adheres to an overall design, is divided into three levels. The front faces onto Via Verdi, where there are two entrances. The main entrance leads through an elegant walnut gate to a wide corridor at the end of which there is a stone staircase designed as a stand-alone construction that is lit up on two sides. The secondary entrance goes onto a separate staircase of considerable merit, called a "secret staircase", whose structure is supported by a series of masonry arches, while the steps are built in local sandstone with wooden handrails that are inlaid where the corners meet. The rooms between the two entrances form a corridor and offer the most practical and rational solution. The "Salon" is particularly important, with ceilings reaching to the second floor and a balcony onto which the second-floor rooms open. The lower vaulting of the salon's ceiling is constructed with a wooden frame covered with bamboo and plaster and the walls of the room are decorated with paired pilasters set at regular distances and two large canvases hang on the longer walls, framed by stucco and depicting scenes of country life. The whole building was completed with elegant stucco decorations, coloured in part with pure gold, and its furnishings were designed to ensure harmony with its architecture. The window frames of the front windows and shutters still have painted decorations. The restoration carried out following the 1918 earthquake led to changes in the colour schemes throughout the building, and in 1925 wallpaper was put up and some painting was undertaken by the craftsman Ruggero Ruggeri. At the beginning of the nineteenth century the building passed into the hands of Countess Teresa Angioloni Goretti and was later acquired in 1845 by the Pesarini family. Finally, the building was purchased in 1989 by the Comunità Montana dell'Appennino Cesenate (Mountain Community of the Apennines of Cesena) and became the body's headquarters following careful restoration.

Address
San Piero in Bagno - Via Verdi, 2/4 - 47021 Bagno di Romagna (FC)
Contacts
Telephone: 0039 0543900711 - Fax: 0039 0543 447833
protocollo@unionevallesavio.it - http://unionevallesavio.it/
Getting here

BY CAR: take the A14 motorway exit at Cesena Nord and follow the E45 road towards Rome to San Piero in Bagno (48 km). Coming from Rome, follow the A1 motorway up to Orte and then the E45 road up to the San Piero in Bagno exit (km 265). Coming from Florence, you can choose between two alternative routes: take the motorway to Arezzo then continue along the SS 73 highway to Sansepolcro and from there take the E45 road to S. Piero in Bagno (km 150); alternatively you may take the "historical" route from Florence via Pontassieve, Consume, Bibbiena then across the Mandrioli Pass through Bagno di Romagna to S. Piero in Bagno (km 92). BY BUS: From Cesena: daily ATR service - From Rome: weekday direct connection to and from Rome run by the SULGA bus company, departing from Fiumicino airport and the terminal at the Tiburtina station. BY TRAIN: 44 km from the railway station in Cesena, connected by the ATR public bus service. BY PLANE: 60 km from Forlì Airport, 80 km from Rimini Airport, 130 km from Bologna Airport.

Hours and rates
  • Opening
    The palazzo can be visited during the office's opening hours.
lun, 03 lug 2017 14:58:48 +0000