Oratory of the Madonna delle Grazie in S. Piero in Bagno

This Oratory is located on Via delle Grazie, shortly beyond the eighteenth-century bridge over the Rio torrent. Nothing is known as regards the construction or the founder of the Oratory, however, we do know that by the first half of the eighteenth century this small church already bore the name of "S. Maria delle Grazie" (Our Lady of Grace) or "S. Maria del Soccorso" (Our Lady of Succour) and in 1826 comprised a sacristy, pantry, workshop, vegetable garden, and kitchen with two bedrooms on the first floor. On the altar there is a small painting (50 cm x 40 cm) in tempera on wood which depicts a bust of the Madonna and Child, perhaps the work of an artist from Romagna and painted in the early decades of the sixteenth century. The painting, enclosed in a silver frame, appears to have been partly altered. In his will of 1892, Don Silvestro Fabbroni left the church, housing and some plots of land to the "Company of St. Peter" to contribute to the setting up of a nursery school for poor children. When the first nursery was opened in Via Garibaldi, the three nuns who worked there lived for some time in the rooms next to the oratory. The Oratory, along with the housing and land, was later sold (1913) to a private individual to contribute to the costs of a new nursery, the "Asilo delle Grazie". The small church which had fallen into disrepair was later restored with private funds, and services are held there in the month of May.

Getting here

S. Piero in Bagno is 3 km from Bagno di Romagna: the oratory is located at No. 4, Via delle Grazie, just beyond the eighteenth-century bridge on the Rio torrent.

Mon, 12 Jun 2017 08:35:59 +0000