Oratory of the Madonna del Carmine in Bagno di Romagna

The oratory is set on the right bank of the Fosso della Cappella, a tributary of the Savio River. It was built after a sermon by friar Antonio Carlo Borromeo from Padua during which he stated that "the image of the Blessed Virgin placed along the Savio river was in great danger of being swept away by the river" and invited the population to protect it. The community thus decided to build an oratory around the fresco that would be placed on an altar or tabernacle: the date of erection (1621) appears on the two windows next to the front door. The land was donated by the Malvisi family that thus had the privilege of appointing the chaplain. The elegant portico with three arches supported by stone columns was built in 1713. The oratory was suppressed in 1784 and purchased in 1785 by Jacopo Malvisi who made it into a family burial ground, documented by various tombstones placed inside. The small painting on the altar, which has been much altered, merely evokes the image of the Madonna and Child that gave rise to the oratory. The Oratory has recently returned to the ownership of the Diocese of Cesena and Sarsina, and is being restored for the opening of a small museum of sacred art.

Getting here

It is located in Bagno di Romagna, at the end of Via Manin.

Mon, 12 Jun 2017 08:32:17 +0000
Tourist Office of Reference

Tourist Information Office - Visitor Center of the Casentinesi Forests National Park
Via Fiorentina, 38 - BAGNO DI ROMAGNA