Church of S. Silvestro at Fontechiusi in S. Silvestro

The church dedicated to San Silvestro (Saint Sylvester) has been documented since at least 1299 when the congregation of Camaldoli took possession of it and provided it with a baptismal font (1302) and made it a parish church. The earthquake of 1918 partly destroyed the church and rectory and severely damaged the two eighteenth-century bells, which were recast and consecrated in the 1925 Jubilee Year. The Church, which was renovated in 1933, retains some important features inside, such as the sober and elegant vaulted side chapel in Renaissance style, dated 1515 and dedicated to the Virgin Mary: the pietra serena sandstone decoration exalts the high workmanship of the stonemasons from Fiesole. The notary who commissioned the work, a member of the Della Porta family, is depicted on the capital on the right-hand side which bears an inscription to him that runs just above the moulding of the capitals, which also mentions Leo X, the Pope who in 1515 confirmed the baptismal font for the priory of San Silvestro by creating the Diocese of Sansepolcro. Equally important is the holy-water font in white marble with the lily of the Como workshop (9th –12th century), now set on a nineteenth-century sandstone base. The round-arched tabernacle with a sandstone frame and a carved wooden door is seventeenth-century and there is also an altar-piece dating back to the early decades of the sixteenth century - which formerly belonged to the Uffizi Gallery in Florence – which depicts the Madonna and Child with Saints James and Nicholas, attributed to the Florentine painter Antonio del Ceraiolo. The church is situated in an area of the countryside where people still live and work and services are still celebrated here from time to time.

Address
San Silvestro - Via S. Silvestro, 1 - 47021 Bagno di Romagna (FC)
Contacts
Telephone: 0039 0547318022

Getting here

BY CAR: From Bagno di Romagna drive towards Cesena along the SP. 138; pass through the village of San Piero in Bagno and stay on the SP. 138 for a little less than 2 km until you reach a turning on the left where a country road winds for 2 km up to the village. BY BUS: The START Romagna 138 bus will take you as far as the turn off for the village. (9 km trip from Bagno di Romagna).

Fri, 09 Jun 2017 15:05:37 +0000
Tourist Office of Reference

Tourist Information Office - Visitor Center of the Casentinesi Forests National Park
Via Fiorentina, 38 - BAGNO DI ROMAGNA