Church of S. Pietro in in S. Piero inVinculis B agno
In 1897 the parish priest of S. Piero in Bagno, Don Pietro Andrucci, entrusted the task of drafting a plan for a new parish church to the architect Cesare Spighi, to replace the previous church, which was small and unsafe. Work began immediately, but the building was large and thus the church was not consecrated until 1936. In 1959 - 1961 the upper part of the façade was completed with a broken pediment with a small edicule, side pinnacles and an impressive staircase at the entrance to the church. More recent work (1984, 1990) made it possible to complete the original plan for the façade. The church, which is majestic and elegant with sandstone capitals that have been finely crafted by talented local stonemasons, contains some interesting works of art: a tempera on panel representing the "Madonna with Child and Saints", dated and signed "Iulius P. MCCCCLXXXXVII"; a crucifix in glazed terracotta which comes from the Palazzo del Capitano in Bagno di Romagna, modelled between 1530 and 1566 by Girolamo della Robbia; a crucifix painted in tempera on canvas applied on a wood panel and framed in silver, which is work of the fifteenth-century Florentine school and came from the deconsecrated church of S. Maria al Ponte; and a crucifix, which is a recent work by the artist Carmelo Puzzolo.
Referent: Don Rudy Tonelli
The Church is in San Piero in Bagno, 3 km far from Bagno di Romagna.