Sant' Agnese, di Andrea della Robbia
Sant'Agnese, glazed terracotta statue by Andrea della Robbia
This beautiful polychrome terracotta statue was created around 1490 by Andrea di Marco della Robbia (1435-1525), probably on commission from the Camaldoli monks in Bagno di Romagna. Overall the sculpture is of considerable size (135 x 50 x 35 cm), and depicts St. Agnes, the patron saint of the Bagno di Romagna spas, who is holding a palm and a book with a lamb on it. The statue was repainted in around 1800 with a coat of plaster so that it would appear to be marble. This intervention meant that the statue conserved the natural oil polychrome that was brought to light when it was restored in 1993. The glazed tunic is embellished with gold embroidery in the painted part and with glaze in the lighter part and is absolutely splendid. The statue evidences the high quality of work produced by the Della Robbia artists not only with glazing but also with oil colours.
It is housed in the Basilica di S. Maria Assunta, in Piazza Ricasoli.