Rocca di Rondinaia
Resti del castello di Rondinaia
The imposing ruins of a tower (about 20 meters wide and 4) and parts of the foundation, placed on another spur (579 m asl), which stands north of St. Sophia on the confluence of the Bidente Strabatenza in Bidente Dogwood-Ridracoli , are what remains of a castle that in 1118 belonged to Ugo di Bleda and in 1222 conquered after a long siege by the papal militia. In 1334 they took possession of the Ghibellines of Romagna that cut off the head of the feudal lord, Lion Cub or Leuzzino from Valbona: this fact remains bloody track to a legend that tells of a shadow headless wanders around the old tower. In 1371 the castle is described as follows: "Castrum Rondenarie, est super high bank, Habet turrim fortissimam et prope est lumen Aqueductus for milliare medium; confinat cum Valbona, Biserno, Roccha Pezolo et Sancta Flora. Into quo sunt focularia XII." It is held by Azzo and Farinata degli Ubertini (it is in the "Vicariatus Flumanarum Galleate, Casatici et Raiboris)". Conquered by Jacopo Salviati on behalf of Florence in 1404 he lost importance and was abandoned, while its territory - Rondinaia organized in the Community, which has Rural Statutes (1454) - became part of the Captaincy of the Val di Bagno.
BY CAR: from S. Piero in Bagno follow the SP for 14 km. 26 up to S. Sofia, where - at the signposted - take the road to Poggio alla Lastra on the left, which goes up to Ponte di Valbona. Shortly after, follow another municipal road on the right, which in little more than 2 km reaches Rondinaia.