PIAZZE, LOGGE, VIE STORICHE

Back

Piazza Allende a S. Piero in Bagno


Piazza Allende a S. Piero in Bagno

Its origin dates back to the 13th century when the Guidi Counts established the castle of Corzano in the plain below, at the confluence of roads that connected Romagna with Tuscany, a "market" that is a place of exchange and market around which the Borgo di S. Pietro was formed and developed.

The square has the typical wide and spacious structure of the "market", in the shape of a rectangle that expands along the historic east-west road network, and even today a crowded weekly market takes place there on Wednesday. In the sixteenth century the square was bordered by a curtain of houses that over time - especially in the seventeenth / nineteenth centuries - was redeveloped with the "palace" structure, through the amalgamation of multiple building units and their merging into new more complex bodies - that is, the buildings of the new bourgeoisie, the landowners and the professions - which still face it today. Palazzo Giommoni, with its splendid scratch-painted façade, is made up of the merger of several houses in the late 17th century, with loggias that continue also under other adjacent popular structures. Palazzo Fucci, with its elegant and geometric facade, was built from scratch in the early nineteenth century.


The adjoining Palazzo Rivalta, on the other hand, was built between 1902 and 1905, where Palazzo Vecci stood, designed by the engineer-architect Cesare Spighi who with his work has imprinted the town: the aristocratic shape, with Florentine lines, breaks the curtain of the other facades and visibly contrasts with them also for the material used. On the other side of the square stands Palazzo Galeffi, born between the late seventeenth and early nineteenth centuries from the amalgamation of several buildings, such as the adjoining Palazzo Orlandi. On the square stands the bell tower or municipal tower. Until the seventies of the twentieth century it was intoled by King Vittorio Emanuele II.

Getting here

Piazza Allende is located in the center of S. Piero in Bagno, 3 km from Bagno di Romagna.

dom, 01 mar 2020 11:49:12 +0000