Castle walls in Bagno di Romagna
Bagno di Romagna in the fourteenth century was a small but populous "castrum" surrounded by walls along which two towers stood and two doors opened: this is how some documents tell us, in particular the "Descriptio Romandiole" (1371) of Cardinal Anglic de Grimoard; and so it is depicted in a "view" of 1788 painted by Antonio Fedi. During the nineteenth century long sections of the city walls were demolished "to give air" to the town, others incorporated into some buildings. On the west side of the town, along the Via del Popolo and Circonvallazione, there remains a part of that walled perimeter in which there is also a "Torrione", an interesting defensive structure from an architectural and historical point of view: circular in shape, with a small access to the east, it is made of stone with walls made up of extremely regular courses and sandstone roofing. It has been recently recovered and restored.
On foot: the remains of the castle walls are in Via Circonvallazione and Via del Popolo.