Madonna col Bambino, del Maestro di Sant'Ivo
Madonna with Child, by the Maestro di Sant'Ivo (around 1410)
Inside the Basilica di S. Maria Assunta the lustre of gold leaf shines from the panel of the “Madonna with Child (around 1420) that is clearly Florentine in style and has been attributed to the so-called "Maestro di Sant'Ivo", an artist who studied under Agnolo Gaddi (1369-1395) and worked in Florence between the end of the fourteenth and the beginning of the fifteenth centuries. The work is tempera on wood set within a pointed arch (103 x 57.5 cm) and depicts “Our Lady of Humilty” represented sitting on a cushion on the ground as envisaged by the iconography. In this work the Child is holding a rose at his mother’s breast. The painting is the central part of a polyptych that was mentioned in a pastoral visit in 1635 and was kept on the altar of the Romitorio, a small oratory to the south of Bagno that is now in ruins, but which according to tradition was erected in 1492 by Alessio, the Prior of the Basilica of Bagno.
It is housed in the Basilica di S. Maria Assunta, in Piazza Ricasoli.