The paleo-industrial settlement of the Gualchiere, one of the most interesting and intact of the Tuscan-Romagna Apennines, is located on the left bank of the homonymous torrent, tributary of the Savio, and along the ancient via di Passo Serra which already in the Middle Ages Romagna with Tuscany and Rome.
The mill and the fulling mill have been documented since at least 1545 when the Balassini family obtained them from the community in perpetual rent and since then they will have always owned them. Thanks to his resourcefulness, the development of this very small production center continues over the centuries: in fact, in addition to millers and gualcherani, the Balassini will be kilnsmen, dyers, tanners, they will set up a water sawmill, they will weave wool and fabrics. On the house there is the family coat of arms - a rampant lion dominated by a six-pointed star or precious stone called "balasso" - similar to that of the Guidi Counts of which a Balassino was a bastard son.
Perfectly restored, the nucleus preserves all the machinery of the mill and the mulcher, even if they are not functional, together with objects and testimonies of the life and activity of this small production center. Having become a farmhouse, it offers rustic and comfortable independent apartments.
BY CAR: drive south on the SP. 138 for 2 km, then the SP. 137 for another 300 meters, then, at a square on the side of the provincial road, go down with a dirt road to the underlying core of Gualchiere.
- Openingopen all the year