Crocifisso di Girolamo della Robbia a S. Piero in Bagno
Crucifix by Girolamo della Robbia in S. Piero in Bagno
This imposing and impressive Crucifix (251 x 125 x 22 cm) was probably created by Girolamo della Robbia (1488-1566), the son of Andrea, between 1530 and 1566. The sculpture is in glazed terracotta that beautifully preserves the original polychromes and brilliant glaze. The work has been carefully modelled and the mature classicism that pervades it is evident from the healthy-looking body of Christ and the great attention to detail, for example as regards the thong, or the purple hue of the lips and in the striking woven green crown which probably had real thorns inserted in small holes to emphasise the dramatic appearance of the face. In the 1930s the Crucifix was hung in the sacristy of the parish church of S. Piero in Bagno. Its original setting was in the Chapel of the Palazzo del Capitano in Bagno di Romagna.
The parish church is in S. Piero in Bagno at 3 km from Bagno di Romagna